Wednesday, November 29, 2023

CURRENT BEST SPORTS RADIO SHOWS IN HOUSTON

 Written by:  Lamont Mann


THE BEST SPORTS RADIO SHOWS IN HOUSTON

The industry defines me as a P1 listener,   I like to call myself a radio slut.  I listen to the majority of shows in Houston and I like to rank the hottest.

Currently,  there are three shows killing it.  These are the shows I am vibing with for at least two hours daily.

  • Seth Payne and Sean Pendergast
  • In the Loop (Landry Locker and  John Lopez)
  • Killer Bees (Jeremy Branham and Joel Blank)
There is no order as they are all interchangeable on any given day depending on my mood.

Seth Payne and Sean Pendergast

Seth and Sean are cool guys, but before coming to this arena, you best bring your college syllabus and TI85 calculator.   They are huge nerds.   Seth and Sean comes off as elitist but fun.   Sean is from Notre Dame, Seth is from  Cornell University.  They are both North Eastern guys and sometimes it appears as if they are talking down to dumb hicks but it's not that.

I know the market will not like this but I think they are the "show prep" for the city.   Seth and Sean pretty much sets the guidleines of the day if there is not any breaking news. Usually what they discuss from 6 am will likely be regurgitates throughout  the day on various shows and different stations. 

Both guys are cool and have senses of humor.   At times, they get way too defensive about the Houston Texans. They are overly protective Nick Caserio's moves and they comb the internet for any and everything said about CJ Stroud.  This show is anti callers.  

They rarely take calls.   If you hear one call from them in a week, you have witnessed a unicorn.   I believe they think they are above talking to Houston  but it works because they cherry pick text messages and that's their way of interacting with the public.

Landry Locker and John Lopez - In the Loop

Pound for pound,   In the Loop is the best show on Sports Radio 610.   They will call out everyone including their coworkers and station partners.   Outside of a few other shows in the Houston market, they really incorporate their producer Figgy Fig.   They have been together nearly three years and have real synergy.

In the Loop take calls and interact with the city.  I mean, it's not like they are busting out two-three callers a segment but they interact with the city more than their predecessor.

Of the Sports Radio 610 lineup, they cover the most  college football.   It's not the best coverage but at least they dedicate some time to college.

If there's one negative about In The Loop and I am not even sure this could be a negative, they try to act like they are "too cool for school".  They pretty much go out of their way to disagree with popular opinion on just about anything.   

Overall, it's a solid show.

Jeremy Branham and Joel Blank - Killer Bees

The killer Bees as of now, may be the complete show.  They are playing the hits and they are mad interactive.   Calls, texts, tweets and Twitch.

They do not shy away from disagreements from the fans.  In fact, I think they prefer more fans to disagree with them than agree.  Jeremy is on his shit.  Of all personalities I've interacted with and tried to prove them wrong, he will quickly shot me receipts.

Years ago, I thought Joel was just a Rockets/NBA guy and had no clue about MLB and NFL.  I was wrong, his knowledge of the BIG THREE is solid.  Albeit,  Joel brings another dynamic of being a former NBA employee and he provides incite of how some of the decisions are made in the rooms with the mahogany desks.

One of their flaws as a show in my opinion is "Like I Said".  I am wrong as it's not Jeremy but more Joel who will always let you know "we said this".  You are going to get at least 3 iterations of this per show.  Jeremey on the other hand is an employee of University of Houston.  Jeremy is a broadcaster for the UH Coogs and that's cool but he cannot share his real opinions about shit going on at UH.  Jeremy will freely tell you as he have me, that's my job.

WRAP IT UP

All three shows are killing it right now and if the Texans do what I think they are going to do, this show and others will pop.   Outside of the Texans,  if the Rockets blow big, I believe the Killer Bees is going to be must listen to radio.





No comments:

Post a Comment