Thursday, December 14, 2023

FRED FAOUR AND AJ HOFFMAN

 Written by:  Lamont Mann


As much as I have bitched about Houston Sports Media, my favorite show of all time was The Blitz.  The Blitz was Fred Faour and AJ Hoffman on 97.5.

When I first learned about these guys, there were two things I remembered.

1.  I was blogging with HMW (Houston Media Watch) so I automatically listened to rip and hate them

2.  I couldn't distinguish one from the other's voice. 

Back when they were in the 12-2p slot, I listened expecting to go in but I was like "these are real dudes".  I listened for a few more weeks and eventually begin interacting with the show, "these guys are solid".

What was really dope about their show, both guys were from Houston Proper.  They were not guys guys Googling Houston history, they were here for it all the bullshit.  Not to mention, Fred is piped into Houston from being born here,  University of Houston alumn,  Houston Chronicle editor.  It was almost like listening to Joe Jackson tell you about the Jackson Five.  Fred was/is the plug.

I quickly begin telling my Twitter (X) Friends about The Blitz.  I was telling all of my friends on Twitter,  these cats are real dudes:

  • they are not Houston fanboys
  • they talk about sexy women 
  • they talk about Television and Movies
  • They love alcohol 
In some weird way,   Fred and AJ became what 1560 The Game tried to brand themselves.  1560 IMO tried to brand themselves Houston and not controlled by Corporate or the Texans.  Organically,  Fred and AJ did it.

AJ and Fered had fun on the air.  They would fuss and fight;  clown callers, texters and tweeters.  AJ and Fred would openly go at other stations by host's names; not any of that pussy "up the dial shit".  If Fred or AJ heard a local media member did some dumb or good shit, they would acknowledge it by name.

Currently,  AJ  is doing his gambling thing and podcast in Las Vegas, Fred is running his podcast in Houston.  Once a week on Thursdays at 4p CST, they work together.  I listen to both guy's work.

I have a sneaky suspicion, these guys will be back together on a much more frequent basis.






No comments:

Post a Comment