Sunday, February 19, 2023

HIP HOP SHOULD HAVE THEIR OWN HALL OF FAME

HIP HOP SHOULD HAVE THEIR OWN HALL OF FAME



I grew up loving Hip Hop.   My first album was The Fat Boys.  I like to think I'm a Hip Hop historian; actually I believe in another life I would have been an Hip Hop A&R.

It's noted that Hip Hop began in the Bronx with a party by DJ Kool Herc in 1973 (although that's debate) therefore it's the 50th anniversary.   Hip Hop is one of if not the biggest music generating genres currently.  With it being the 50th anniversary, multiple media outlets are acknowledging the milestone.  The Grammys honored Hip Hop with a tribute and Billboard Magazine dropped a top 50 all time best rappers list.

The Billboard Top 50 Best Rappers list is the catalyst of this article.  That list was fucked up and disrespectful. I really would like to know who wrote that article.

It's time for Hip Hop to stand on it's own two feet and divorce this shit about trying to be included and recognized by other genres.

This brings us to the issue of Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.  As stated before,  Hip Hop is 50 years old and is very profitable.  Every year when the Rock and Roll HOF inductees are announce, we patiently await to hear the Hip Hop artist to be announce.  It's total bullshit when Hip Hop has more than enough artist in 50 years to at least put in 3-5  artists in a year.

I believe it's time for Hip Hop to make a clean break and do their own Hall of Fame.  I personally. believe, being judged by your own peers is greater than latching on to the Rock and Roll Hall of fame.  I mean it would be one thing if it was a music Hall of fame inclusive of all genres but the Rock & Roll HOF clearly tells me it's an inherent bias.   

It kills me that we want to infiltrate other's shit instead of creating our own.  It's almost like blacks and hispanics want validation from folks who clearly don't want to fuck with them.

Lamont Mann










No comments:

Post a Comment