Monday, June 24, 2019

Houston Sports Talk Radio, What's HOT, What's NOT

Written by: LM



As an expert radio listener, I feel inclined to let the masses know what's hot and what's not.  Old media heads refer to Mid June as the "Dog days of summer".  It's really not if you are not lazy and actually prepare and not rely on stories to fall into your lap.

There are a few shows I am feeling right now and there are a few shows I listen to out of habit.

HOT

The Bench 97.5 7-9 -  John Granato, Lance Zierlein and Del are doing their thing. they like to have fun.  It's zoo radio, lots of voices talking over each other but they keep it fun.  At times their show annoys me because they will go off on tangents and it feels like the old school 1560 Secret Society shit. 

In The Loop Sports Radio 610 10a-2p -  For as much as I hate the constant Texans rhetoric, Landry Locker has made John Lopez more tolerable.  Like The Bench, John and Landry keeps it fun. I clearly see the chemistry and I can argue, they should be the Morning Show.  They are very interactive with their audience via text, phones, not so much Social Media.

The Blitz 97.5 4p-7p -  Hands Down, the best Houston Sports Show IMO.   If there's is not anything going on locally, they will not force feed a make believe Houston angle.  They will go National or maybe entertainment or List Radio.  For all of you about to hit me on List Radio, I have no problem with List Radio if its done in moderation. List Radio is when a show carries a time slot with "Who's the best or etc" and it will get people to regurgitate the same old shit we've heard a million times.  It's a place for it but not everyday.

The Sports RV Show Sports Talk 790 10-12 Saturdays -  I have been listening to Ross Villarreal for a few years on the weekends. He's fun with a lot of wild ass callers on the weekend.  Currently, he may be the most interactive show in Houston.   Ross, conducts his show from a fan perspective, he will debate you and he will tap out, if he's wrong.  Ross is capitalizing on the fact he's one of the few Houston personalities on-air during the weekend which is a whole other blog within itself.

What's NOT

Mad Radio Sports Radio 610 6a-10 -  Without going all in, it's a time slot accustomed to hearing morning radio at 6am.  As soon as 7am hits, I switch to the Bench.  Mad Radio is intellectually nice but it comes off as so formulated.  Everything about that show feels scripted and driven by the Texans content.


Above, are the shows I listen to the most.  I listen to most local shows in Houston but these are the shows I currently listen to the most


No comments:

Post a Comment