Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Does Local Sport Media Serves a Purpose?

Written By:  LM




There was a time in Houston Sports we got our news from local personalities in print, television and radio.  Now, it seems we are receiving most of our our information from National Media.

If you don't know me, I hate National Media. I believe National Media are working from bullet points and  prompters, depending on the format.

I have not written for a while but after the Houston Rockets and Texans "off season", I had to.

Over the last month or so, the Texans and Rockets have commanded lots of attention for the wrong reasons.   I will not get into the intricacies but the Texans and the Rockets have been involved in turmoil.

Texans

The Texans fired their GM in the hopes of hiring a New England Patriot's guy, it didn't happen.   Fuck all of that, I was more annoyed by who was reporting it.   I am hearing Albert Breer, Adam Schefter and a few other national folks.   Our local media will immediately come behind them and "confirm" their reports.

Rockets

There are so many reports about the Rockets, I am not even sure where to start.  Between the head coach and owner on different terms, Morey saying every one is available for trade, Morey saying he will not trade CP3, and James Harden/CP3 beef. Our local media will go into "battle mode" defending the Rockets or they will blast Rockets depending on what station they are on.

As I have observed all of this, I couldn't help but think, our local media has let us down.  Houston Sports Media has been reduced to "confirming national reputable journalist work" or debating national personalities work.  It upsets me because there was a time in this market, Houston broke Houston news.  Houston use to quickly debunk a lot of bullshit.

There a few local personalities who attend practice and events on the regular but there are a lot more who sit back on their ass and formulate opinions from people out of New York, Boston and Los Angeles talking about HOUSTON.

It appears, a lot of Houston Media is not really paying attention to the teams and relying on National Media for show prep.

It makes no sense to me, Houston personalities cannot cultivate those same relationships that the National Media has?  I've seen it done.

Pre Social Media,  John McClain broke everything Texans. Post Social Media Pat Starr debunked or explained most Texans Rumors . Maybe just maybe some you need to get off your ass and go follow the local teams instead of waiting on National News.

No comments:

Post a Comment